Designed exclusively for seniors, generally 55+ or 62+, who are still able to manage their day-to-day routine independently and would enjoy the option of social opportunities and the benefit of additional security. Apartment style living. Generally, independent living residents have their own apartment. With apartment styles that typically include studio and one-bedroom & two-bedroom floor plans with full kitchens or kitchenettes that usually feature a small refrigerator and microwave. You can be as social or private as you choose. No health care services provided. However, residents are welcome to receive services from any outside agency, such as Home Care or Home Health. Independent Living offers a setting where social activities are available with few of the worries of home ownership, carefree lifestyle and free of everyday living responsibilities. Overall, this apartment style setting is more for active seniors who may benefit from increased socialization. Independent Living communities are also known as retirement communities, retirement homes, senior housing or senior apartments.
Pricing & How it is covered:
Private Pay – Month-to-Month Lease. Prices range from $1000-$3000+ monthly. No buy-in fees or long term leasing. They come in a range of costs, including subsidized housing for low-income older adults.
Note: Medicare or Medicaid benefits do not cover independent living costs.
Services Typically Include:
- 1-3 restaurant-style meals served in a community dining room
- Basic housekeeping
- Beauty and Barber salon
- Exercise/Fitness Programs
- Kitchens or kitchenettes in the apartment
- Laundry services
- Maintenance repairs
- Offer a wide variety of non-medical services
- Onsite services
- Pets (usually a deposit is required)
- Private 1 and 2 bedroom apartments
- Social & Activity programs
- Some utilities included, except local telephone services and cable
- Swimming Pool
- Transportation to medical appointments and shopping